Communication is a key ingredient in marketing these days, and the spoken word remains the most powerful means of communicating your ideas and infecting people with your passion. As a Brand Ambassador, James can help promote your service or product through persuasive presentations and powerful video content. Reach your target audience and put your business at the forefront of the health industry.
Contact James if you’d like to speak to him about communicating your next great medical idea.
James is an enthusiastic and engaging keynote speaker, and is keen to speak at your next event.
Following his medical internship in 1988, James lived and worked as a doctor in Africa and subsequently as an eye surgeon in the Middle East, battling malaria, wild animals, rebel soldiers, and insurgent groups. He founded Sight For All in 2008, turning his passion and boundless energy into a fight against blindness in the Aboriginal and mainstream communities of Australia and some of the poorest countries of the world.
In 2016, James had to prematurely retire from surgery as a result of a neurological disability that impaired the function of his dominant hand. Throughout his career, he has been a researcher, a teacher, an author, a musician, a photographer, and a film creator, and uses his many skills to deliver passionate, fascinating, and at times confronting presentations about his life, work, philanthropy, and social entrepreneurship.
Contact James if you’d like him to speak at your next corporate or medical event.
– Building resilience – a personal and global journey
– Facing transitions – how to cope with change
– Harnessing your passion to change the world
– The art and science of social entrepreneurship
– Building corporate social responsibility
– Fighting blindness, fighting poverty and saving lives (TED Talk)
– Diabetes. Be afraid… (TED Talk)
Past major keynotes
– Executive Roundtable, December 2019
– Trinity College Speech Day, December 2019
– Raising The Bar Entrepreneurship Event, Adelaide, October 2019
– Nova Systems Annual Group Conference, Adelaide, August 2019
– Australian Medical Student’s Association’s Global Health Conference, Adelaide, August 2017
– Social Capital Conference, Adelaide, July 2017
– ASEAN’s 50 Years Celebration Business Forum Dinner, Adelaide, March 2017
– United Nations Youth’ Annual Conference, Adelaide, March 2016
– Hollows Lecture: Cataract and Beyond, RANZCO Annual Congress, Melbourne, November 2016
– Medical Technology Association of Australia’s Annual Conference Dinner, Sydney, November 2015
– TEDx Talk: Restoring sight, alleviating poverty, saving lives, Adelaide, November 2015
– University Senior College’s Graduation Ceremony, Adelaide, December 2014
– Slipperyfish’s Positive Lunch Club, Adelaide, July 2014
– Flinders University Surgical Society’ Beyond Borders, Adelaide, July 2013
– Australian Institute of Project Management, Adelaide, April 2013
– Trinity College’s Annual Awards Ceremony, Adelaide, December 2011
– Scotch College Junior School’s End of Year Ceremony, Adelaide, December 2010
“We asked James to inspire our groups with a presentation and discussion on social entrepreneurship. Although all of our members come from a business background, the topic was relevant and engaging. James spent the afternoon with our members and provided a forum for people to think outside of their own business and how they can make an impact within and outside of their own communities, whether they be business or personal. James is an experienced and engaging speaker and importantly provides a message that is needed across society as a whole. Inspiration is one thing but to provide a message that motivates is so much better. I would recommend James to anybody seeking these aspects in a speaker and The Executive Roundtable members certainly appreciated everything James had to say.”
Executive Roundtable forum 2019
“James is a true inspiration that oozes passion and dedication, which can be seen in everything that he does. The City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters had the pleasure of working with James Muecke AM to launch the inaugural Raising the Bar Entrepreneurship event in the world in October 2019.
James is personable, pro-active and was a delight to work with through every stage of the event. James’ ability to deliver an engaging, funny and inspiring talk was second to none and showed that if you have a passion for something, you truly can, change the world. As a speaker, James earns the Council’s highest recommendation.”
Raising The Bar Entrepreneurship 2019
“Dr James Muecke provided an insightful guest speaker presentation that was specifically tailored to our conference theme and aligned with our group messaging. The presentation focussing on using your passion and social entrepreneurship to create change was thought provoking and encouraging. The presentation was relevant and interesting for all delegates and we look forward to welcoming James back in the future.”
Nova Group Conference 2019
|“James was a keynote speaker at the 2017 Social Capital Conference, a peak event for the social innovation and entrepreneurship community. His address held the audience spellbound – and received a steady flow of praise for quite some time after the event. James has the rare ability to seamlessly present both a strong rational case for change, and to humanise it. His combination of deep professional insight and personal stories is powerful. Certainly, the tremendous and selfless work he, and the Sight for All team, are doing is a story that many more people must hear.”
Professor David Paterson, Co-Founder & Chair, Social Capital
“I organised and was the MC of the Social Capital Conference in Adelaide in July 2017, one of the key events of Entrepreneurs Week, attracting some 250 attendees. James Muecke was one of our keynote presenters. I was fortunate to witness him from the stage and I could see how his powerful story resonated with our audience. In the breaks and also in days following the conference, I spoke with numerous people who spoke of how James’s talk and the excellent presentation media had a powerful impact, with many noting it was the conference’s stand-out keynote.”
Matthew Wright-Simon, Engagement Lead, Social Capital
“James Muecke is a captivating speaker. His superb storytelling, global perspective and passion for his field is a powerful combination. He engages easily with his audience, as demonstrated by his recent presentation to the Celebrating 50 Years of ASEAN Business Forum in Adelaide. He would be a valuable contribution to any event seeking an intelligent and thought-provoking edge.”
Belinda Heggen, former national broadcaster, public speaking and presentation coach, MC for Celebrating 50 Years of ASEAN Business Forum 2017
“The 2017 Australian Medical Students’ Association’s Global Health Conference attracted over 750 medical students from around Australia, New Zealand and the wider Pacific region. In full attendance, the delegates were delighted to welcome Dr James Muecke AM who spoke of his experience working outside Australia with his not-for-profit organisation, Sight For All. He provided practical advice and examples about the challenges and rewards of running a non-governmental health organisation, as well as inspiring stories of the positive impact that a few committed and enthusiastic individuals can achieve. Delegates were captivated by his engaging style of presentation, with images from his work overseas accompanied by anecdotes as well as key information about the population and diseases concerned. Afterwards, many delegates expressed their enjoyment of Dr Muecke’s engaging session. It provided a rare insight into the daily activities of a medical NGO, and demonstrated that a doctor does not need to be a public health physician to make a tangible impact on global health issues. I can wholeheartedly recommend Dr Muecke as a motivating, engaging and informative speaker.”
Annie Collinson, Academic Convenor, AMSA Global Health Conference 2017
“Dr James Muecke delivered the Hollows Lecture at the RANZCO Congress in 2016. As the invited speaker for this prestigious lecture, he gave a thoughtful presentation of his journey in ophthalmology which has led to the growth and success of Sight For All as an international development agency. It was a great example of the positive impact that eye surgery can have on not only those receiving, but those giving.”
David Andrews, CEO, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
Medthink can help bring your medical projects to life.
There are many ways we can help you achieve your goals, whether it be a medical facility, the development of a device or app, or content creation for your business. We also have the skills to launch your product, service or business.
James utilises his expertise in medical research, education, infrastructure support and health awareness, coupled with writing, photography, and music & film production. Mena draws on her experience as a commercial interior architect, event planner and project manager. Together they will work within your brief to deliver a solution that is perfect for you.
Contact Medthink if you’d like to speak to the team about making your next medical project a reality.
– The Specialists is a documentary series, currently in production, that explores the fascinating and yet mysterious lives of medical specialists. Episode 1 features Dr Than Htun Aung, a paediatric eye surgeon who is leading the way in the fight against childhood blindness in Myanmar. Please visit the Our Library page to view the teaser for the documentary which will be launched in early 2020.
Medthink loves to create and share powerful medical stories. With a strong skill set in documentary film making, content creation, and photojournalism, we can work with you to capture the essence of your vision.
Contact Medthink if you’d like us to create your next medical story.
James has produced a number of short films, many for the not-for-profit organisation Sight For All:
– Little Bang’s New Eye, set in Vietnam and featuring a family from an ethnic minority group, tells the story of a young girl battling a rare form eye cancer. The award-winning film has been played at a number of international film festivals.
– Please Don’t Rush is a deeply moving film set in a school for the blind in Lao that delivers an extraordinary insight into the world of blind children. It was selected for the New York and St Kilda Film Festivals.
– Eyes is an award-winning music video featuring a song by Aboriginal hip hop artist Caper, using the spoken word to deliver powerful messages about eye health.
Please visit the Our Library section of this website for a wider selection of Medthink’s short films.
Medthink are currently producing and co-directing a documentary highlighting the ground-breaking work of a paediatric ophthalmologists’ fight against childhood blindness in Myanmar.
Combining travel writing and photography has always been a passion of James’s:
– Chin State Odyssey tells the story of a medical team travelling to a remote region of Myanmar to establish an eye clinic for Sight For All.